Vegetable Garden

Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy August

White Pound Cake with Apricot Mousseline
covered in Marzipan


Happy August!  Today we made a white pound cake with apricot mousseline (like a pastry cream with butter, replace the milk with apricot puree... I hope you can imagine the flavour).  I truly prefer Bonnie's birthday cake (also a white cake) to today's white pound cake, which is a Martha Stewart recipe.  What was fun about making this cake was the decoration part.  It's the first time I've completely encase a cake in Marzipan... not bad for a first timer?

Lemon Chiffon with Lemon Curd

This lemon chiffon/lemon curd cake was made on Friday but we did not have time to decorate the sides with basket weave.  Even though this is the first time we're doing basket weave in the pastry program, I figured out how to do it with the help of a book as I wanted to that design for Bonnie's cake.  This simple looking cake is delicious.  The lemon curd is tart and the cake is sweet and moist.  Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Lemon Chiffon was all that I don't like in a cake - strong tartness and strong unsalted butter taste in the frosting. Even though Sharon said the butter content was minimal, I felt like I was eating a pound of butter, as evinced in the extra pound that appeared on the scale this morning. Yesterday's weight battle was won by the cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Apricot Mousseline was so moist. I *loved* this cake. The marizpan complemented well. Truly satisfied with this one.

    ReplyDelete